- archaic for man (human male), see werewolf, weregild, world.
- Second-person singular simple past tense indicative of be.
- :John, you the only person to see him.
- First-person plural simple past tense indicative of be.
- :We about to leave.
- Second-person plural simple past tense indicative of be.
- :Mary and John, you right.
- Third-person plural simple past tense indicative of be.
- :They a fine group.
- Simple past tense w:Subjunctive_mood, subjunctive in all persons of be.
- :I wish it Sunday.
- with "if" omitted, put first in an "if" clause:
- ::Were it simply that she wore a hat, I would not be upset at all. (= If it simply...)
- ::Were father a king, we would have war. (= If father a king,...)
- Dutch: was, zou zijn, ware
- Italian: eri, eravamo, eravate, erano
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for were for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.