- A delay.
- I had a very long at the airport security check.
- (transitive) to delay movement or action until the arrival or occurence of; to await
- You'll just have to your turn.
- (intransitive) To delay movement or action until some event or time; to remain neglected or in readiness
- Wait here until your car arrives.
- (intransitive) To serve customers in a restaurant or other eating establishment.
- She used to down at the Dew Drop Inn.
Etymology: From Old Northern French waitier, a variant of Old French guatier (modern guetter "watch for"), from Germanic.
- Dutch: bedienen
- French: attendre
- German: bedienen
- Spanish: esperar
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for wait for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.