- Something deposited, laid, or hazarded on the event of a contest or an unsettled question; a bet; a stake; a pledge.
- A contract by which two parties or more agree that a certain sum of money, or other thing, shall be paid or delivered to one of them, on the happening or not happening of an uncertain event.
- That on which bets are laid; the subject of a bet.
verb to wager
- French: pari
- Italian: evento su cui si scommette (see: scommettere)
- Spanish: apuesta (f)
(trans-top, an agreement)
- Dutch: inzet
- To put something up as collateral
Etymology: From wageure, from wagier "to pledge".
- Dutch: wedden, weddenschap afsluiten, verwedden
- French: parier
- Spanish: apuesta (f), apostar (verb)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for wager for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.