verb (vocaliz, ing)
- to express with the voice, to utter
Etymology: vocal + -ize
- 1876, Walt Whitman, preface to the 1876 edition of Leaves of Grass
- :Following the modern spirit, the real poems of the present, ever solidifying and expanding into the future, must the vastness and splendor and reality with which scientism has invested man and the universe,...
- (music) to sing without using words
- (linguistics): to turn a consonant into a vowel
- (linguistics): to make a sound voiced rather than voiceless (dated)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for vocalize for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.