- A grouping based on shared characteristics; a class.
- An individual that represents the ideal for its class; an embodiment.
- A block of metal or wood having a raised letter or character on its surface used for printing; also, a set of such blocks.
- (biology). An individual considered representative of members of its taxonomic group: the type of a genus, family, etc.
- (theology): an event or person that prefigures or foreshadows a later event - commonly Old Testament events linked to Christian times.
- (comptheory) A tag attached to variables and values used in determining what values may be assigned to what variables.
verb (typ, ing)
- French: caractère
- German: Typ , Typus
- To put text on paper using a typewriter.
- To enter text or commands into a computer using a keyboard.
- To determine the blood type.
- The doctor ordered the lab to the patient for a blood transfusion.
Etymology: :From typus, from typos "dent, impression, mark, figure, original form", from root of typtein "to strike, beat".
- Dutch: typen
- French: dactylographier, pianoter, taper
- German: schreiben, tippen
- Italian: dattilografare
- Spanish: escribir a mí¡quina, mecanografiar
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for type for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.