Translations: verb (transit, t, ing)
- The act of passing over, across, or through something.
- The conveyance of people or goods from one place to another, especially on a public transportation system; the vehicles used for such conveyance.
- (astronomy) The passage of a celestial body across the observer's meridian, or across the disk of a larger celestial body.
- A surveying instrument rather like a theodolite that measures horizontal and vertical angles.
- (context, navigation) an imaginary line between two objects whose positions are known. When the navigator sees one object directly in front of the other, then navigator knows that his position is on the transit.
- a w:Ford Transit, Ford Transit van.
- To pass over, across or through something
- To revolve an instrument about its horizontal axis so as to reverse its direction
- (context, astronomy, intransitive) To make a transit
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for transit for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.