- A widely cultivated plant, Solanum lycopersicum, having edible fruit
- The savoury fruit of this plant, red when ripe, treated as a vegetable in horticulture
- Note: The US Supreme Court in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nix_v._Hedden Nix v. Hedden (1893) ruled that a tomato is a vegetable.
- A shade of red, the colour of a ripe tomato.
- (slang) A desirable-looking woman.
- Lookit the legs on that hot !
- (slang) A stupid act or person.
Etymology: From Spanish tomate < Nahuatl tomatl, (xi)tomÄtl.
- German: Tomate , Paradeiser
- Dutch: tomaat
- French: tomate
- Italian: pomodoro
- Spanish: tomate
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for tomato for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.