- The rate of production; the rate at which something can be processed.
- The factory managed a of 120 units per hour.
- The rate at which data is transferred through a system.
- 1927, Harald Nielsen, "Distillation of Carbonaceous Materials" http://www.google.com/patents?id=uPpbAAAAEBAJ&dq=throughput&jtp=1, US Patent 1886262, line 70:
- "if the rate of heating is substantially reduced, not only is the of the apparatus diminished and the cost of the process increased, but the properties of the resultant coke are detrimentally affected."
Etymology: A compound of through + put.
- French: debit de production
- German: Durchsatz
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for throughput for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.