- An instance of swimming; the act of swimming.
- I'm going for a .
verb (swims, swimming, swam, swum)
- German: Schwimmen (2)
- Italian: nuotata (1), nuoto (2)
- (intransitive) To move through the water, without touching the bottom; to propel oneself in water by natural means.
- (transitive) To traverse (a specific body of water, or a specific distance) by swimming; or, to utilize a specific swimming stroke; or, to compete in a specific swimming event.
- He will attempt to the channel.
- For exercise, we like to laps around the pool.
- I want to the 200-yard breaststroke in the finals.''
Etymology: Old English swimman
- Dutch: zwemmen
- French: nager
- German: schwimmen
- Italian: nuotare
- Spanish: nadar
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for swim for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.