- (rfquote-sense) a low, indistinct continuous whispering sound; a murmur
- s:Beyond the Wall, Beyond the Wall by Ambrose Bierce
- The rain was now falling more steadily, with a low, monotonous , interrupted at long intervals by the sudden slashing of the boughs of the trees as the wind rose and failed.
- 2004 Oct 17, Laura Cumming, in w:The Observer, The Observer. From a whisper to a scream
- Coming in feels almost like going out - an audible breeze threatening to swell into a blizzard, waves breaking and withdrawing, the open air tuned to so many sounds that your own are absorbed in the rise and fall of murmurs, shouts, susurrations, plosives, stutters and echoes - and above them all, like Prospero, the voice of the artist humming to himself as if thinking (or not thinking) aloud.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for susurration for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.