adjective (surlier, surliest)
- (obsolete) Lordly, arrogant, supercilious.
- irritated, Irritated, bad-tempered, unfriendly.
- threatening, Threatening, menacing, gloomy.
adverb (surlier, surliest)
- The weather put us all in a bad mood.
- (obsolete) In an arrogant or supercilious manner.
Etymology: Sixteenth-century alteration of sirly, from sir + -ly.
- 1623: Against the Capitol I met a lion / Who glazed upon me, and went by " William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar I.iii
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for surly for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.