(wikipedia, Purple Swamphen)
- originally, a secular office, formally subordinate to -, but de facto the power behind the throne of the (theoretically universal) caliph
- a hereditary ruler in various Muslim states (sultanate), varying from petty principalities (as in Indonesia and in Yemen), often vassal of a greater ruler, to independent realms, such as Oman, Brunei, or an empire such as the Turkish Ottoman Empire.
- a variant of patience, played with two decks of cards.
- the sultana bird or (African) purple swamphen, purple moorhen or purple gallinule, officially named (in Latin) porphyrio porphyrio, a bird species of the rallidae family
Etymology: From (ARchar, ÙÙ) (unicode, sÅltÄn), meaning strength and authority.
- Dutch: sultanshoen
- French: poule sultane, talève sultane
- German: Purpurhuhn
- Italian: pollo sultano
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for sultan for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.