- (grammar) A word that names or refers to a person, place, thing, or idea. noun, Nouns, pronouns, adjectives, present participles, determiners, and numerals may all function as substantives in English and many other languages.
- Dutch: zelfstandig naamwoord , substantief
- French: substantif
- German: Substantiv
- Italian: sostantivo
- Spanish: substantivo , sustantivo
Translations: Etymology: From substantif.
- Of the essence or essential element of a thing; as, "substantive information".
- Having substance and prompting thought.
- Applying to essential legal principles and rules of right; as, "substantive law".
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for substantive for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.