verb (submerg, ing)
- (intransitive) To sink out of sight.
- The submarine submerged in the water.
- (transitive) To put into a liquid; to immerse; to plunge into and keep in.
- In films many people are murdered by being submerged in a swimming pool.
- (transitive) To be engulfed in or with something.
- ; Because of the death of his father, he is submerged in sorrow.
Etymology: From Latin submergere, from sub-Latin, sub- ("under") + mergere ("to plunge").
- German: abtauchen (1), untertauchen (2)
- Italian: sommergere
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for submerge for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.