- A strap; more specifically a piece of leather or a substitute (notably canvas), or strip of wood covered with a suitable material, for sharpening a razor, in this sense also called razor strop.
- A bad mood or temper (see stroppy.)
verb (strop, p, ing)
- Dutch: riem (razor strop: scheerriem)
- French: lanière
- German: riem
(trans-top, Bad mood)
- (obsolete) To strap.
- (recorded since 1842; now most used) To sharpen (a razor) with a strop.
- One should the razor before shaving.
Etymology: Same as (see under) Strap; recorded in English since 1702
- Dutch: wetten
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for strop for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.