- A type of knot at the end of a rope, to prevent it from unravelling
- Put a stopper in the knot.
- A bung or cork
- We need a stopper or the boat will sink.
- (slang) goalkeeper
- He's the number one stopper in the country.
- (context, finance, slang) In the commodity futures market, someone who is long (owns) a futures contract and is demanding delivery because they want to take possession of the deliverable commodity.
- Cattle futures: spillover momentum plus evidence of a strong stopper (i.e., 96 loads demanded) should kick the opening higher.
- (rail transport) a train that calls at all or almost all stations between its origin and destination, including very small ones
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for stopper for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.