- The act or result of stirring; agitation; tumult; bustle; noise or various movements.
- Why all these words, this clamor, and this stir? "Denham.
- Consider, after so much stir about genus and species, how few words we have yet settled definitions of. "Locke.
- Public disturbance or commotion; tumultuous disorder; seditious uproar.
- Being advertised of some stirs raised by his unnatural sons in England. "Sir J.Davies.
- Agitation of thoughts; conflicting passions.
Etymology: Old English styrian
- German: Erregung
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for stir for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.