- A strong bad smell.
- (informal) A complaint or objection.
- If you don't make a stink about the problem, nothing will be done.
- (in plural stinks; slang) Chemistry (as a subject taught in school)
- (slang) (New Zeland) A failure or unfortunate event.
- The concert was stink.
verb (stinks, stinking, stank, stunk)
- Dutch: stank
- French: puanteur , mauvaise odeur
- German: Gestank
- Italian: puzza
- Spanish: tufo
- (intransitive) To have a strong bad smell.
- (intransitive) (informal) To be greatly inferior; to perform badly.
- That movie stinks. I didn't even stay for the end.
- (intransitive) To give an impression of dishonesty or untruth.
- Something stinks about the politician's excuses.
Etymology: Old English stincan
- Dutch: stinken
- French: puer
- German: stinken
- Italian: puzzare
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for stink for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.