- A luminous celestial body, made up of plasma (particularly hydrogen and helium), forming a sphere. Thousands of stars are visible in the night sky. Depending on context the sun may or may not be included.
- (figurative) A person or thing held as a positive example. A star athlete.
- (rfd-redundant) A celebrity or noteworthy performer.
verb (star, r, ed)
- Dutch: ster , vedette (3)
- French: étoile , vedette , star
- German: Prominenter , Prominente , Promi , Star :de:Star, ^
- Italian: stella(it)f
- Spanish: estrella(es)f
- To appear as a featured performer or headliner, especially in an entertainment program; see (3) above.
Etymology: Old English steorra.
- French: tenir le rí´le principal
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for star for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.