- A device which maintains a fixed distance between two objects, especially between a surface and electrical wiring.
- (colloquial) A social confrontation, or conflict between persons (see above verb).
- I don't want to get involved in the between those two.
Etymology: From stand + off
- To operate some distance from the object of the operation
- (colloquial) To become involved in a social confrontation, or conflict of interests. (To cause a stand-off is to undertake the action itself.)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for standoff for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.