noun , plural standbys
- State of readiness without being immediately involved.
- The troops were on in case of an attack.
- (Travel) Waiting at the airport in the hope of getting a seat on a flight that is already booked out.
- Something that is standard, well-tested, or frequently used.
- That recipe is an old , and she keeps the ingredients around in case of unexpected guests.''
- (Particularly in radio transmissions) Wait briefly.
- Standby while I check that for you.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for standby for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.