- An unsteady movement of the body in walking or standing, as if one were about to fall; a reeling motion; vertigo; -- often in the plural; as, the stagger of a drunken man.
- A disease of horses and other animals, attended by reeling, unsteady gait or sudden falling; as, parasitic staggers; apoplectic or sleepy staggers.
- Bewilderment; perplexity.
- To move to one side and the other, as if about to fall, in standing or walking; not to stand or walk with steadiness; to sway; to reel or totter.
- To cease to stand firm; to begin to give way; to fail.
- To begin to doubt and waver in purposes; to become less confident or determined; to hesitate.
- To cause to reel or totter.
- To cause to doubt and waver; to make to hesitate; to make less steady or confident; to shock.
- To arrange (a series of parts) on each side of a median line alternately, as the spokes of a wheel or the rivets of a boiler seam.
- To walk in an awkward, drunken fashion
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for stagger for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.