noun (es, -)
- A game much like rackets, played in a walled court with soft rubber balls and bats like tennis rackets.
- (botany) A plant and its fruit of the genus Cucurbita, or gourd kind.
Translations: verb (squash, es)
- Note: The species are much confused. The long-neck squash is called Cucurbita verrucosa, the Barbary or China squash, C. moschata, and the great winter squash, C. maxima, but the distinctions are not clear.
- A soft drink made of citrus fruits and soda water.
- (context, obsolete, zoo) A muskrat, short form of musquash.
- (obsolete) Something soft and easily crushed; especially, an unripe pod of peas.
- Not yet old enough for a man, nor young enough for a boy; as a squash is before 't is a peascod. --Shak.
- (obsolete) Hence, something unripe or soft; -- used in contempt.
- This squash, this gentleman. --Shak.
- (obsolete) A sudden fall of a heavy, soft body; also, a shock of soft bodies.
- My fall was stopped by a terrible . --Swift
- (transitive) To beat or press into pulp or a flat mass; to crush.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for squash for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.