noun (abbreviated to: sqn)
- (obsolete): Primarily, a square; hence, a square body of troops; a body of troops drawn up in a square.
Etymology: escadron, formerly also esquadron, or squadrone. See squad.
- "Those half-rounding quards Just met, and, closing, stood in joined." -Milton.
- (Army): A body of cavalry comprising two companies or troops, and averaging from one hundred and twenty to two hundred men.
- (Navy): A detachment of vessels employed on any particular service or station, under the command of the senior officer; as, the North Atlantic Squadron.
- (Air Force): A tactical air force unit; consists of at least two flights; multiple squadrons make up a group
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for squadron for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.