- (countable) Any of various marine invertebrates, mostly of the phylum Porifera, that have a porous skeleton often of silica
- (countable) A piece of porous material used for washing (originally made from the invertebrates, now often made of plastic)
- (uncountable) A porous material such as sponges consist of
- (informal) A heavy drinker
- (countable, uncountable) A light cake
- (countable, uncountable, UK) A type of steamed pudding
- (slang) A person who takes advantage of the generosity of others (abstractly imagined to absorb or soak up the money or efforts of others like a sponge)
verb (spong, ing)
- Dutch: spons
- French: éponge
- German: Schwamm
- Italian: spugna
- Spanish: esponja
- (slang) To take advantage of the kindness of others.
- He has been sponging off his friends for a month now.
- To clean, soak up, or dab with a sponge.
- German: schnorren
- Spanish: cafichear, gorronear
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for sponge for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.