- A group of plants or animals having similar appearance.
- This of rock is unique to the area.
- (context, biology, taxonomy) A rank in the classification of organisms, below genus and above subspecies; a taxon at that rank
- Darwin, On the Origin of Species:
- : Hence, in determining whether a form should be ranked as a or a variety, the opinion of naturalists having sound judgment and wide experience seems the only guide to follow.
- (chemistry) A specific known or unknown element, molecule, radical or ion; used commonly when the entity's status as an element, molecule etc. is unknown.
Etymology: (term, species, lang=la, , view; appearance; vision; dream; semblance), from (term, specere, lang=la, , to see) + (term, -ies, lang=la) suffix signifying abstract noun
- Dutch: soort
- French: espèce
- German: Art , Spezies
- Italian: specie , (plural: speci)
- Spanish: especie
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for species for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.