- austere, frugal or characterized by self-denial
- I went on the retreat to the monastery thinking I would be sleeping in a cell to discover a simple, but comfortable bedroom.
- resolute in the face of danger or adversity
- The legionnaries vowed to fight to the death.
- lacking in decoration and luxury
- After ten years as a fashion designer in the rough-and-tumble Garment District, Eloise left New York for the but serene life of a farmer's wife.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for spartan for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.