noun (wikipedia, spanner, spanner (hand tool))
- A hand tool for adjusting nuts and bolts.
- Pass me that , Jake; there's just one more nut to screw in.
- (Weapon) A hand tool shaped like a small crank handle, for winding the spring of a wheel lock on a musket.
- 1786, Fig. 10. The spanner for spanning or winding up the spring of the wheel lock. — Francis Grose, A Treatise on Ancient Armour and Weapons, page xvi.
- (idiom) (UK) A problem, dilemma or obstacle; something unexpected or troublesome
- Half way through the production of Macbeth, the director found that the stage was smaller than he expected. This really threw a in the works.
- (context, UK, mildly, derogatory) A stupid or unintelligent person; one prone to making mistakes, especially in language.
- You , Rodney! I wanted a Chinese, not an Indian!
Etymology: (-er, span)
- German: Schraubenschlí¼ssel
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for spanner for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.