- (uncountable) That stratum of the surface of the soil which is filled with the roots of grass, or any portion of that surface; turf; sward.
- (slang, formerly considered vulgar) A person (mildly pejorative, often qualified with an adjective).
verb to sod
- You mean old !
- (slang, formerly considered vulgar) Poor sod; unlucky sod (expressions of sympathy).
- Short for sodomite.
- (context, AU, colloquial) A damper (the food) which has failed to rise when cooked (remaining a flat lump).
- 1954: And Mart the cook the shovel took <br>And swung the damper to and fro. <br>'Another sod, so help me God, <br>That's fourteen in a flamin' row. <br>— Tom Ronan, Vision Splendid, 1954, quoted in Tom Burton, Words in Your Ear, Wakefield Press, 1999, ISBN 1-86254-475-1, page 120
- (context, transitive, slang, vulgar) Damn, curse, confound.
- Sod him!, Sod it!, Sod that bastard!
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for sod for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.