noun (pl=socks, pl2=sox)
- A knitted or woven covering for the foot.
- A shoe worn by Greco-Roman comedy actors.
- A violent blow, punch.
- Dutch: sok (1)
- French: chaussette (1), socque (2)
- German: Socke
- Italian: calza , calzino
- Spanish: calcetín (italbrac, Chile, Guatemala, Mexico, Nicaragua, Spain), media (italbrac, Cuba, South America except Chile)
- (pos vt) To hit or strike violently.
- (pos vi) To deliver a blow.
- They may let you off the first time, but the second time they'll it to you—James Jones
- (Verb) uncertain origin
- (Noun) From socc, a West Germanic borrowing from soccus.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for sock for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.