- (often with up) To make or become sober.
- (often with up) To overcome or lose a state of intoxication.
- ''I took him hours to sober up.
adjective (comparative: soberer, superlative: soberest)
- German: ausní¼chtern
- not drunk; not intoxicated
- not given to excessive drinking of alcohol;
- in character; moderate; realistic; serious; not playful; not passionate; cool; self-controlled
- 2005, w:Plato, Plato, Sophist. Translation by Lesley Brown. w:Stephanus pagination, 230d.
- : Which is the finest and soberest state possible.
- dull; not bright or colorful;
Etymology: From Old French sobre < Latin sobrius ("without wine") < se- ("without") + ebrius ("intoxicated"), of unknown origin.
- French: sobre
- German: gedeckt (of colours)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for sober for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.