initialism (plural SOBs)
- (context, coarse, slang) son of a bitch
- shortness of breath
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for SOB for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
- a cry with a short, sudden expulsion of breath.
verb (sob, b, ing)
- Dutch: snik
- French: sanglot
- German: Schluchzen
- Spanish: sollozo
- (intransitive) to weep with convulsive gasps.
- (transitive) to say (something) while sobbing.
- "He doesn't love me!" she sobbed.
- Dutch: snikken
- French: dire
- French, dire en sangloter, sanglotant
<!-- Examplesentence should be removed to the French entry "sangloter":
- sentimental or melancholy to a great degree (one degree further being "sobby"); almost but not quite schmaltzy.
- Five minutes into the movie and she's already crying; typical stuff.
- (informal) sad, depressing.
- Tell me a story, see if I cry.
- Dutch: sentimenteel
- German: sentimental
- German, sentimental
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for sob for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.