noun or smart alec
adjective smart-aleck, smart-alecky
- one who is pretentious to cleverness or knowledge; a know-it-all
- one who is obnoxiously self assured; a show off
- (rare) a well dressed person
- pretentious; obnoxiously self assured
Etymology: aleck is a nickname for Alexander. The phrase is possibly derived from the name Aleck Hoag, a 19th century con man and thief.
- Your smart-alecky comments are unneeded.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for smart aleck for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.