- That which clothes, covers, conceals, or protects; a garment.
- Especially, the dress for the dead; a winding sheet.
- That which covers or shelters like a shroud.
- A covered place used as a retreat or shelter, as a cave or den; also, a vault or crypt.
- The branching top of a tree; foliage.
- (Nautical) A rope or cable serving to support the mast sideways.
- See also Wikipedia article on (w, Shroud (sailing))
- One of the two annular plates at the periphery of a water wheel, which form the sides of the buckets; a shroud plate.
- Spanish: obenquillo
- Italian: sartia
- To cover with a shroud.
- (idiomatic): To conceal or hide from view, as if by a shroud.
Etymology: Old English scrÅd
- The details of the plot were shrouded in mystery.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for shroud for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.