- A hand tool with a handle for moving portions of material such as earth, snow, grain, etc from one place to another. Not to be confused with a spade which is for digging.
- A spade.
verb (shovels, shoveling or shovelling, shoveled or shovelled)
- Dutch: schop
- French: pelle
- German: Schaufel
- Italian: pala
- Spanish: pala
- To move materials with a shovel.
- The workers were shovelling gravel and tarmac into the pothole in the road.
- After the blizzard, we shoveled the driveway for the next two days.
- I don't mind shoveling, but using a pickaxe hurts my back terribly.
- Dutch: scheppen
- French: peller
- German: schaufeln
- Italian: spalare
- Spanish: traspalar
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for shovel for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.