- An establishment that sells goods to the public.
- A place where things are crafted, a workshop.
- Workplace; office. Used mainly in expressions such as shop talk, closed shop and shop floor.
- Short for wood shop, a class taught typically in junior high school, teaching vocational skill. Also metal shop could be shortened this way
verb (shops, shopping, shopped)
- Dutch: winkel
- French: boutique (1), magasin (1), boutique en ligne (4), magasin virtuel (4)
- German: Laden , Geschí¤ft
- Italian: magazzino , negozio
- Spanish: tienda , comercio (italbrac, formal usage), negocio (italbrac, colloquial), almacén (italbrac, Colombia); (italbrac, small shop) changarro (italbrac, Mexico)
- (intransitive) To visit shops; to look around shops with the intention of buying something (I went shopping; he"s shopping for clothes).
- (transitive) To report the criminal activities or whereabouts of (a suspect) to the police.
- (context, transitive, Internet) Shorthand for photoshop; to digitally edit a picture or photograph.
- Dutch: winkelen, inkopen doen, shoppen
- French: faire les magasins, faire du shopping, faire des courses, faire des achats
- German: einkaufen
- Italian: andare per negozi
- Spanish: ir de compras
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for shop for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.