Translations: verb (shimmies, shimmying, shimmied, )
- An abnormal vibration, especially in the wheels of a vehicle.
- (archaic) A dance that was popular in the 1920s.
- (rare) A sleeveless chemise.
- To climb sometime (e.g. a pole) gradually (e.g. using alternately one's arms then one's legs.)
- He shimmied up the flagpole.
- The static made her dress up her leg.
- (intransitive) To vibrate abnormally, as a broken wheel.
- (context, intransitive, rare) To shake the body as if dancing the shimmy.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for shimmy for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.