- A flat, rigid, rectangular structure, fixed at right angles to a wall, and used to support, store or display objects.
- The capacity of such an object; as, a shelf of videos.
- A projecting ledge that resembles such an object.
- A reef, shoal or sandbar.
Etymology: Probably from scylfe (deck of a ship); distantly related to sculpt, "carve" and shell.
- Dutch: schap
(trans-top, reef, shoal, sandbar)
- French: étagère , rayonnage
- German: Brett , Einlegeboden, Regal
- Italian: scaffale
- Spanish: estante
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for shelf for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.