- A scabbard; a holster for a sword.
- Anything that has a similar shape to a scabbard for a sword that is for the purpose of holding an object that is longer than it is wide; a case.
- A tight-fitting dress.
- A condom
verb (sheathes, sheathing, sheathed)
- Dutch: huls
- French: gaine (for a knife), étui
- German: Hí¼lle
- Italian: guaina
- Spanish: envoltura
- To put an object (especially a weapon, in particular, a sword) into its sheath.
Etymology: Old English scÄaí
- Dutch: in de schede steken
- French: rengainer (weapon)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for sheath for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.