- The state of being settled.
- (legal) A disposition of property, or the act of granting it.
- A colony newly established; a place or region newly settled.
- (architecture) The gradual sinking of a building. Fractures or dislocations caused by settlement.
- (legal) A settled place of abode; residence; a right growing out of legal residence.
- (finance) The delivery of goods by the seller and payment for them by the buyer, under a previously agreed trade or transaction or contract entered into.
Etymology: (suffix, settle, ment)
- German: Ansiedlung , Siedlung
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for settlement for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.