- In some bicameral legislative systems, the upper house or chamber.
- A group of experienced, respected, wise individuals serving as decision makers or advisors in a political system or in institutional governance, as in a university, and traditionally of advanced age and male.
- 1818, w:Percy_Bysshe_Shelley, Percy Bysshe Shelley,"The Revolt of Islam", canto 11, stanza 13, lines 4338-9,
- :Before the Tyrant's throne
- :All night his aged Senate sate.
Etymology: From (term, senatus, senÄtus, lang=la), from (term, senex, , old).
- French: sénat
- Italian: senato
- Spanish: senado
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for senate for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.