- (disease) A disease caused by insufficient intake of vitamin C leading to the formation of livid spots on the skin, spongy gums, loosening of the teeth and bleeding into the skin and from almost all mucous membranes.
adjective (scurvier, scurviest)
- French: (t, fr, scorbut, m)
- Italian: scorbuto(it)m
- Spanish: (t, es, escorbuto, m)
- contemptible, Contemptible, despicable, low, disgustingly mean.
- Noun usage from the adjective (term, scurvyAdjective, scurvy) influenced by or a variant of (term, scurfy). Took on meaning of (term, scheurbuik, lang=nl), (term, scorbut, , scurvy, lang=fr), possibly from (term, skyrbjugr, lang=non). Compare German (term, scharbock, lang=de), Late Latin (term, scorbutus, lang=la).
- Alternate etymology is < < (MLG.).
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for scurvy for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.