- the approval, by some authority, that makes something valid
- a penalty, or some coercive measure, intended to ensure compliance; especially one adopted by several nations, or by an international body
- a law, treaty, or contract, or a clause within a law, treaty, or contract, specifying the above
- (transitive) To give authorization or approval to something; to ratify.
- (transitive) To penalize a state, especially for violating international law.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for sanction for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.