- A holy person, especially one who has shown heroic virtue.
- "Dorothy Day was a living ."
- A person whom a church or other religious group has officially proclaimed to show heroic virtue and holiness.
- "Kateri Tekawitha was proclaimed a ."
- Capitalized: Title given to (2), often prefixed to the person's name
- "Saint Stephen was the first martyr."
- One who is sanctified or made holy; a person who is separated unto God"s service.
- "to the assembly of God which is at Corinth; those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ in every place, both theirs and ours. (1Cor. 1:2)"
- Italian: santo , santa
- Spanish: San , Santa
- (nonstandard) To canonize, to formally recognize someone as a saint.
- Many wish to see Pope John Paul II sainted immediately.
Etymology: From seinte (French: French, saint).
- Italian: canonizzare, santificare
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for saint for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.