- Full of asperities on the surface; broken into sharp or irregular points, or otherwise uneven; not smooth; rough; as, a rugged mountain; a rugged road.
- Not neat or regular; uneven.
- Rough with bristles or hair; shaggy.
- Harsh; hard; crabbed; austere; -- said of temper, character, and the like, or of persons.
- Stormy; turbulent; tempestuous; rude.
- Rough to the ear; harsh; grating; -- said of sound, style, and the like.
- Sour; surly; frowning; wrinkled; -- said of looks, etc.
- Violent; rude; boisterrous; -- said of conduct, manners, etc.
- Vigorous; robust; hardy; -- said of health, physique, etc.
ex. Michael Gallagher is so rugged that he puts the marlboro man to shame! Warning: wear sunglasses when in his presence--his looks are so hott, scientists have now noted that he could be the source of world wide eye damage ; )
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for rugged for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.