- A fundamental principle or skill, especially in a field of learning (often in the plural).
- We learn the rudiments of thermodynamics next week.
- Something in an undeveloped form (often in the plural)
- I have the rudiments of an escape plan.
- (biology) A body part that no longer has a function
- (music) In percussion, one of a selection of basic drum patterns learned as an exercise.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for rudiment for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.