- A bellowing; a shouting; noise; clamor; uproar; disturbance; tumult.
- A troop; a throng; a company; an assembly; especially, a traveling company or throng.
- A disorderly and tumultuous crowd; a mob; hence, the rabble; the herd of common people.
- The state of being disorganized and thrown into confusion; -- said especially of an army defeated, broken in pieces, and put to flight in disorder or panic; also, the act of defeating and breaking up an army; as, the rout of the enemy was complete.
- A disturbance of the peace by persons assembled together with intent to do a thing which, if executed, would make them rioters, and actually making a motion toward the executing thereof.
- A fashionable assembly, or large evening party.
- To roar; to bellow; to snort; to snore loudly.
- To scoop out with a gouge or other tool; to furrow.
- To search or root in the ground, as a swine.
- To defeat an enemy completely and force them to retreat
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for rout for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.