- A large stream of water that alters the nearby landscape. Occasionally rivers overflow their banks and cause floods.
- Any large flow of a liquid in a single body (e.g., 'a river of blood').
- (poker) The last card received by a player in poker
- Dutch: rivier , stroom
- French: rivière , fleuve
- German: Fluss , Flí¼sse (1); Strom , Strí¶me (1,2)
- Italian: fiume
- Spanish: río
- (poker) To improve one"s hand to beat another player on the final card in a poker game.
Etymology: From rivière < (riverbank, seashore, river) < riparius (of a riverbank) < riparia (shore) < ripa (river bank) < (PIE.) base rei- (to scratch, tear, cut).
- Johnny rivered me by drawing that Ace of spades
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for river for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.