noun (also riposte; plural: riposts)
- (in fencing) A thrust given in return after parrying a lunge.
- A quick and usually witty response to a taunt
- An answer or reply, rapidly uttered, in response to a question or problem.
- The French government was always apprehensive to the German Government"s to an air offensive. Brasseys Annual: The Armed Forces Year-book edited. Thomas Allnut Brassey Praeger Publishers p. 306.
- 2005 Written as a to Samuel Constant"s short story Le Mari sentimental, in which the husband is driven to despair and ultimately suicide by his carping wife, Mistress Henly begins with an account of the wife"s reading of the Constant story and how as a reader she links the text of imagination to the realities of her own life. Title:Through The Reading Glass ISBN:0791464210 Publisher:SUNY Press. Author Suellen Diaconoff. Publication Date: Apr 7, 2005 Page:110
- from French riposte taken from Italian riposta a derivative of the verbrispondere to respond.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for ripost for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.