- (intransitive) to grow ripe; to become mature, as in botany: grain, fruit, flowers, and the like; as, grapes ripen in the sun.
- (intransitive) To approach or come to perfection.
- (transitive) To cause to mature; to make ripe; as, the warm days ripened the corn.
- (transitive) To mature; to fit or prepare; to bring to perfection; as, to ripen the judgment.
- When faith and love, which parted from thee never, Had ripined thy iust soul to dwell with God. --Milton.
- Spanish: madurar (1), colorear
- Italian: maturare (1)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for ripen for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.